#30DaysOfTeal Day 4&5 Ten Ways to Simplify Your Life

PC: Matthew Henry

Welcome to Day 5 of my 30 Days of Teal series on All Things Ab.

If you've been following this series during its first week, you would have noticed that there was no blog post yesterday for Day 4. So today, I'm writing an update and a post for a combined Day 4&5.

It's pretty ironic that the day I was supposed to start the prevention side of this series -- specifically about the importance of lowering stress -- I was stressed. So stressed that I couldn't write a blog post.

But I'm okay, and I'm sorry to have been MIA yesterday. We're rhyming now!

But seriously, yesterday was my day off -- the funniest part -- and it was the busiest day I've had in a while. Sure, I've had longer to-do lists on other days these past few weeks, but yesterday was a different beast.

And I think it's important to be transparent with you all because we're all human. We have bad days.

Yesterday was a bad day because I let it be.

I had meeting after meeting -- after meeting -- and they all fell through. Everyone canceled on me, and although that sounds great for someone who has a bunch of other things to do, I obviously could not complete those tasks still as I was prepared to be in meetings -- not checking off tasks on my to-do list.

On top of that? Wedding drama. (A story for another day)

All in all, I had a bad day. I had a very real day that we all have time to time, and I think it makes the next few items in this blog post all the more important.

It brings home the fact that we all can use some simplifying in our lives. It's the third week of school, y'all, I shouldn't be this stressed. I need to simplify.

Maybe you find yourself in the same boat, or maybe, you don't even know what you need right now until you do it. So consider the following suggestions regardless of your status right now. They could never hurt (unless done in excess, because that wouldn't be simplifying at that point).

Stress has been known to contribute to and speed up the onset of disease. One of the best ways I've learned to deal with stress, busy schedules, headaches, long to-do lists, overwhelm and general bad days is to work toward simplifying different aspects of my life.

I firmly believe that if I would have simplified my life while going through the process of being diagnosed with cancer (instead of picking up that third job on top of school), my tumor would not have grown so quickly. Of course, that's a big fat assumption, but I wouldn't be the only case to have seen positive correlations regarding tumors and stress.

Even if you don't have cancer, or you aren't a gold star candidate for the "Big C," still take these suggestions into consideration as heart disease is correlated even stronger with stress. We are all at risk for something out there, and I'd hate for anything to happen to anyone because they failed to attempt simplifying their life.

So how can you?

The short answer:
1. Identify what's important to you
2. Eliminate everything else

However, we all can agree that life isn't always that simple. So try these 10 things to help you simplify your life a little more:

1. Declutter your closet 
Seriously, just do it. Everyone is. So should you. (So should I...)

2. Create a capsule wardrobe
Eliminate your options to prevent decision fatigue. This has been a goal of mine for a while! Once you've decluttered your closet, try to curate a wardrobe with multifunctional pieces. In the ultimate capsule wardrobe, you would only have 20 items of clothing that could make hundreds of different outfit ideas. The key is choosing neutral colors and patterns that match.

3. Unsubscribe from emails
BRB doing that right now because wow. Did I mention I manage 5 different email accounts? Not the definition of simplified.

4. Schedule meetings with yourself
Make this an unavoidable part of your week, or even your day! Use it how you wish, but try blocking off some time to catch up with yourself. How are you feeling? Did you eat today? Do you need to catch your breath or return your grandma's phone call? Decompress. Spend time alone. Get to know yourself! Rest.

5. Create a simplicity statement
Declare what a simplified life means to you. And stand by it! Once you admit your life isn't a simple as you'd like it to be, you're in a prime position to take action to rectify that situation. You need to identify where you want to be and what you are working toward. Once you have your statement(s), put it in a place where you'll read it frequently.

6. Eat slowly
Perhaps an extension of #4, but an important one. I'm always intrigued by the available research revealing the positive effects on your mind and body when you eat slowly, and without distractions. Mealtimes are some of the most vital times in the day, not only for your physical/nutritional benefit, but also for your social benefit with yourself and others. Take the time to eat with people, enjoy your food, be thankful that it's available, and tune in to how your day (or your company's day) is going.

7. Simplify your goals
I get it. It's hard living in this fast-paced, hypercompetitive society we live in today. It fosters this toxic "hustle" culture. But I'm here to tell you it's better to have two really solid goals than a bunch of just-okay goals. Simplify your goals. Break them down into tangible steps instead of these daunting beasts we have to face in order to earn that checkmark. Tailor them to YOU.

8. Fill your day with simple pleasures
Walk barefoot in the grass. Take a new road to work. Listen to good music in the car. Make popcorn and watch a movie. Take an afternoon nap. Feel the sun on your skin. Write on good paper with a good pen. Try a new coffee shop. Watch the clouds. Make someone smile. Enjoy the little things!

9. Leave space around things in your day
Some of my most overwhelming days are the ones where I schedule it a little like this:

  • 7:30am Wake up and shower
  • 7:45am Put on makeup
  • 8am Make breakfast
  • 8:15am Walk out the door

What about the time it takes me to walk? To get from point A to point B? To trip over my own feet occasionally? Leave space around the things scheduled in your day because the last thing you need is back-to-back meetings with no time to eat or pee or think or regain your sanity. Give yourself that cushion.

10. Always ask yourself: will this simplify my life?
If the answer is no, reconsider it immediately.

I know for me, I'm going to mute my emails and watch the Packer game tonight with my family. What are you going to do? Let me know in the comments below.

Take care of yourselves,

Abi

No comments:

Post a Comment

How We Raised Over $300 in One Week for Cancer Awareness

It is officially the halfway mark of Ovarian Cancer Awareness month! What have you done for yourself or others in spreading awareness an...